The age children should be left home alone is at the discretion of the parent. There is no law in place which covers the “right” age that you should be with a child at home for, but it is often recommended that once the child hits 12 they can be home alone. For a period of a time after you allow your kids to be home alone, there is a level of increased fear and need to keep them safe.
One of the best things you can do is installing a burglar security system. Even when you’re not home, you can know that someone else is keeping them safe. Additionally, follow some of these helpful tips that can keep your children safe when you’re away.
- Set a limit outside of your house so your children know how far they can explore.
- Walk through different potential emergencies with your children so they know how to react.
- Set up a trusted neighbor that your children can go to in the case of an emergency or scary situation happens.
- Make sure that they never answer the front door for a stranger or someone that they don’t know.
- If someone calls the house, make sure that your child never says that they are home alone. Tell them that their parents are “busy” or in the middle of an activity in the house.
- If your child is home for an extended period of time, have them check in with you.
- Depending on their age, set limitations when it comes to cooking. Make sure they don’t use the oven if you aren’t comfortable with them using it.
- Store away and lock up any dangerous items such as guns, knives, razor blades, and so on that could potentially cause injury.
- Make sure your child keeps all doors locked in the home. If you have a security system in the house, make sure they know how to use it so it’s turned on.
When you aren’t home to keep an eye out for your young children, going over a few precautionary safety tips can help keep them safe. For more information about a security alarm system, please feel free to reach out. We can be contacted over the phone at 781-595-0000 or through our online contact form!