Carbon monoxide, or CO, is produced from many home applications where fuel burns in furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, ranges, car engines, and more. If it builds up, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which includes symptoms like headaches, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, upset stomach, and confusion.
Symptoms are similar to the flu and can become deadly if carbon monoxide is inhaled in large amounts. It’s especially dangerous to those who are sleeping or intoxicated. It also becomes more dangerous in poorly ventilated areas. An alarm system can alert you and your family to the signs of a carbon monoxide leak at any point. If a leak springs at 2 in the morning when everyone is in bed, a detector will alert you to the problem so the whole family can get out to safety before the effects can hit.
If you burn oil, wood, gas, or coal to heat your home, you’re open to the risks associated with carbon monoxide. Should your burner malfunction or if there is a problem with your ventilation, this odorless, colorless, deadly gas could leak into your home without you ever having knowledge of it. Reliable carbon monoxide detectors are crucial to protecting your family.