With summer right around the corner, families are beginning to plan their summer getaways. Kids are soon to be out of school and there will be an abundance of time to take that week-long vacation that everyone has been looking forward to. After you’ve planned your trip, be prepared to do a little extra home security work before you leave. Families can be very vulnerable to thieves during vacation periods so doing your part can make a huge difference. Take precautions to keep your home and property as protected as possible.
Outside Your Home:
- Trim your bushes and mow your lawn. It’s important to make your home look taken care of.
- Put all yard toys and especially ladders away. Toys can easily be stolen and an accessible ladder offers an easy way to get into your home.
- Park your cars in the garage. Any unmoved cars outside your house could be a red alert for a possible burglar.
Inside Your Home:
- Turn off and unplug electronic devices
- Set light timers. The oldest trick in the book really does make a difference.
- Pull down window shades so most are closed. This stops burglars from being able to see in.
- Turn gas off
- Turn water off
- Move extremely valuable items into a safety deposit box.
- Simple but important; make sure that all windows and doors are locked. If you have a dog door, be sure that is locked as well.
Within Your Community:
- Ask a trusted neighbor to pick up any flyers or newspapers that may be left in front of your house. A buildup of things could be a tell-tale sign to burglars.
- Contact your post office to hold mail during the vacation period.
- Give a trusted neighbor or friend a key, just in case something happens to your house.
- If you will be away for an extended period of time, as someone to mow your lawn while you’re away.