Having an alarm system is a smart move for every home and business. Protecting life and property is our greatest responsibility. Unfortunately, having an alarm falsely go off can lead to dissatisfaction, and can be a major disruption to everyday activities. A majority of false alarms are caused by human error and can be fairly easily remedied. Here are just a few ideas to prevent false alarms in your home or business.
- Educate – Alarms, whether they are meant for security or fire prevention, require a level of education and training. Be sure that everyone in your family knows the proper use of the system. This may include training caretakers and others who regularly visit your home.
- Maintain – It is important to perform regular maintenance to ensure that the system is working properly. Regular check-ups can help you avoid a tripped alarm.
- Windows and Doors – Be sure that all windows and doors are secured before setting the alarm.
- Key Codes – It happens to all of us eventually. Changing the key codes and accidentally entering an old code can trip the alarm system. Be sure to stay up-to-date with the new codes.
- Re-Entry – Entering a home quickly after setting the alarm is a common cause of false alarms. Whether you forgot your keys or some other item you need, the alarm will still go off. Just remember that the code needs to be entered after setting.
- Pets – Often, the false alarm is not a human error at all, but rather it is the fault pets that have activated a motion sensor or other alarm. Be sure to restrict pets if there are sensors that can be triggered.
Remember that false alarms do happen to even the most conscientious of us. Wayne Alarm can train you and your family on some of the best ways to avoid making these mistakes. Call us today! Lynn, MA (781) 595-0000 • Nantucket, MA (508) 825-9200