With Memorial Day behind us and high school graduations finishing up, I think it’s safe to say that summer has finally arrived. After being stuck inside all winter, there is nothing better than opening those windows and spending time outside with friends and family. While enjoying the nice weather is great, it’s important that you keep in mind the threat of home burglaries.
With the new season, be sure to follow some of these summertime security best practices:
- Installing a reliable and professional security system is truly one of the most important aspects within home security. It is the number one deterrent of burglars everywhere.
- Summer is a popular time to go away on vacation and doing so leaves your home extremely vulnerable. Follow these pre-vacation security tips to keep your home safe when you are away.
- While your home’s windows and doors may be completely wide open when you are home in the summer, they should be shut and locked when you leave. An open house is just asking for someone to break in.
- Whether you are away for a day trip or a week-long vacation, try not to post anything on social media beforehand. A burglar roaming through the internet can find out who’s not home by a simple social media post.
- Air conditioners are absolutely great to stay cool during the summer heat but they do leave your home vulnerable. You should “burglar-proof” your window units so all aspects of your home are locked when you are away. Check out these A/C burglar proof tips to learn how to properly secure your A/C unit.
Each season of the year has its own risks when it comes to home security and burglar theft. Staying aware and knowledgeable is the best way to protect yourself.