Far too often, we hear on the news the horrors of families being assaulted, tied up, and robbed violently in their own homes. While crime rates in Massachusetts are slightly below the national average, there are still many incidences of violent crime and crimes that occur in broad daylight in the “security” of our own homes. Today’s blog will focus on the practical aspects of what residents, property owners, and every homeowner can do to deter a home invader.
Know Your Neighbors – One of the most common defenses that is often overlooked against a home invasion is getting to know your neighbors. These are the people who may notice that something is slightly off at your home, such as a door left ajar, newspapers stacked on the front steps or a dog barking relentlessly. These are the people who can detect a crime occurring even while you are home. Let your neighbors know what cars should and should not be at your house, if a dog walker is allowed in the home, or what deliveries may be occurring and when. It may seem like a small step to take to survive a home invasion but it can help.
Become a Hard Target – Criminals are often looking for a home that looks like a soft target, such as one with many access points, especially if some of those access points are open and unlocked. Be sure to . . .
- Lock windows, even second floor windows.
- Use solid security doors, including the door into your garage.
- Use a deadbolt even when you are home.
- Do not hide a key in an obvious location.
- Use doors that have anti-kick in solutions or at least use longer screws in door jambs and hinges.
- Lock or fortify basement windows.
- Keep your house well lit to discourage would-be criminals.
- Use sensor lights outdoors to deter burglars who have found their way onto your property (the lights will also give you a warning that someone is on your property.)
- Don’t enter your home if it looks like it’s been illegally entered. Leave the premises and call the police.
Install a Security System – Security systems have come a long way in the last few years and are more affordable than ever. Choose one that is right for your needs, lifestyle and budget. Call Wayne Alarm today to discuss your security needs at Lynn, MA (781) 595-0000 • Nantucket, MA (508) 825-9200