This is the time when we all starting making resolutions to eat better and exercise more in the coming year. Here at Wayne Alarm, we suggest a different kind of resolution list for homeowners and business owners. Here are some things to resolve to do and not do, respectively, next year when it comes to your home security.
- Stop posting on social media information about your whereabouts, whether it is an overnight trip or a week-long vacation. Even though you trust your friends, you have no idea who else could access that information and allow for a burglar to plan a perfect time to invade your home or business.
- Stop putting the key under the mat or under a planter on the front steps. Believe it or not, homeowners still do this and it is the first place a burglar will look. Business owners should consider a locking system that allows for a changing code system.
- Install sensor lights and automatic lights both inside and outside your home to deter would-be criminals.
- Lock all doors, even when you are home and when you are away. Keeping doors secure can be a last line of defense in some cases and one you should practice regularly.
- Keep all bushes, shrubs, and trees trimmed and away from windows so that criminals do not have an easy hiding spot.
- Do not advertise that you are not home with a stack of papers on the front porch, an open garage door with no cars inside, or a home that is in complete darkness.
- Practice good security habits such as locking doors, windows, sliders, setting alarms, and changing the batteries regularly in smoke/fire and CO monitors.
- Better yet, consider installing interconnected smoke/fire and CO detection systems.
- Consider adding 24/7 monitoring to the security system you already have.
- Install a home security system that allows you to control and monitor your home with your smartphone.
Still have resolution questions? Call Wayne Alarm at our Lynn office at (781) 595-0000 or at our Nantucket office at (508) 825-9200, or visit our website for more information.